Mountain Empire Model Railroaders Bylaws
Article I. The name of this organization shall hereafter be known as,
Mountain Empire Model Railroaders (MEMRR).
Article II. The officers of this organization shall be elected by popular
vote of the membership at the November business meeting each year and retain that office
for one calendar year. The officers shall consist of a President, Vice President, Secretary,
Treasurer, Newsletter Editor, and Webmaster. The duties of each officer are enumerated in
the Appendix to the Bylaws.
Article III. Committees shall be drawn from the general membership with appointments
made by the president based on interest of the individual members and needs of the club.
Article IV. Membership is open to any individual with a sincere interest in model railroading.
A full adult member is defined as one who pays "full member" dues as set by the club
in Article VIII and is willing to construct or assist with the building and/or operation
of one or more modules or layouts which meets the club specifications. Only paid up full
members will have access to the museum key box.
A youth member is a non-voting member between 14 and 18 years of age and will be
accepted if sponsored by a full adult member. The adult member will accept full
responsibility, financial and otherwise, for their sponsored youth.
A family member is part of a full adult member's household, interested in model railroading
and who will support club activities. Household members will have one vote per adult over
18 years of age.
An associate member is one who would like to receive the club news letter, supports the
club, and will be non-voting.
An emeritus member is one who has been a long time active member who is voted to this
lifetime non-voting status by 2/3's vote of the membership present.
An honorary member is one who has been awarded special non-voting membership for
outstanding contribution by a non-member. To be established by 2/3's vote and renewed
by similar vote at each November meeting.
Article V. Election of officers and changes to the constitution or bylaws must be
announced to the membership no less than one month in advance. Membership will
consist of all individuals listed on the official roll kept by the treasurer. Changes
to the aforementioned documents of the club will require a vote "in the affirmative"
of one more than half the voting membership. Passage of regular business items will
require a majority vote of the members present at the meeting when the item is on the
floor. Members must be sent notice of special called meetings no less than one week
in advance of the proposed "called meeting" date.
Article VI. The regularly scheduled business meeting of this organization
shall be the third Tuesday evening of each month.
Article VII. These bylaws may be amended by the membership, as deemed necessary, by the
process set forth in Article V.
Article VIII. Each member will pay his or her dues to the treasurer no later than January 31st.
An extension may be granted upon approval by the President and the Treasurer.
The dues will be fixed for the next year at the November meeting and published in
the minutes of that meeting.
Article IX. The President may appoint an Audit Committee once a year to audit the books and
physical assets of the Treasurer and to count the "cash on hand" kept by the Treasurer.
The audit report will take place after the November business meeting and thereby present
the incoming administration an accurate and verified base for the new year.
Article X. All club funds will be kept and maintained by the Treasurer. Expenditures to
be submitted to the Treasurer for reimbursement upon receipt of appropriate receipts.
All club funds will be maintained by the Treasurer. Upon termination of this club, all
funds remaining will be used to pay outstanding debts. Any club-owned property will be sold
and the proceeds, along with any remaining cash funds, will be donated to a 501C3
Article XI. This club has been organized and will operate exclusively for the pleasure,
education, and recreation of its members. No part of the club's income and/or contributions
will accumulate for the benefit of any member.
Article XII. Unfinished modules shall show substantial improvements in a timely manner.
If recommended improvements are not implemented on schedule after advisement from the
Executive Committee (officers of the MEMRR), the disposition of the module or modules will
be brought to a vote by the membership.
Article XIII. Each full member is encouraged to work the equivalent of one full
Saturday or two half day Saturdays at the current club display venue per month. Each
member is to sign up for scheduled operating days and/or special events in advance so
adjustments can be made to schedule. Showing up unscheduled with staffing already
scheduled is encouraged but will not count towards fulfillment of this commitment.
Article XIV. Approved expenditures shall not exceed original estimates by more than 10%
unless prior approval by the Treasurer and one other executive officer. (Executive officers are:
President and Vice President). No expenditures will be reimbursed without receipt and all
receipts must be signed and dated by the purchaser.
Article XV. Pro-rated dues for new members who sign up during the year.
Jan. thru Mar. 100%
Apr. thru June 75% (for balance of the current year)
July thru Oct. 50% (for balance of the current year)
Nov. andDec. 100% (this will include the following year's dues)
APPENDIX TO THE MEMRR BYLAWS
Duties of the Officers of the Organization
1. Prepare meeting agenda and preside over the Monthly Business Meeting.
2. Appoint Committees for various tasks as necessary.
3. Maintain contact with Train Show operators.
4. Prepare and disseminate monthly "Train News Report".
5. Assign individuals to specific tasks, i.e., Program Director, Recording Secretary,
Specification Librarian, etc.
6. Provide contact point for local media, civic organizations and political leaders.
1. Preside at monthly business meeting in the absence of the President.
2. Is responsible for promotional aspects of the club, i.e., club logo, club
brochures, media news releases, etc.
3. Is responsible for monthly club programs.
1. Take minutes at Monthly Business Meeting (a Recording Secretary may be appointed
by the President to perform this function.)
2. Send copies of minutes to newsletter editor.
3. Maintain club archives.
4. Originates official club correspondence (i.e.: thank you cards/letters, condolences/etc.)
1. Maintain club funds and account for same in writing.
2. Collect annual club funds due from members and associate members.
3. Prepare monthly financial report (income and expenditures) and submit it to
Newsletter Editor for publication in the monthly Newsletter.
4. Prepare Annual Financial Report.
5. Maintain inventory of club-owned property and location of same.
6. Maintain current Active Membership Roll.
7. Compile and keep a roll of inactive and former members.
1. Publish and distribute monthly newsletter, "Signal Bridge".
1. Secure and maintain a suitable web host for the MEMRR web site.
(Insure that yearly host fees are paid)
2. Design and create MEMRR and George L. Carter Railroad Museum web pages.
3. Maintain and update web pages in a timely manner.
4. Maintain an E-mail list of all members with computer access.
5. Notify all members with computer access of important upcoming club events.
6. E-mail Signal Bridge club newsletter to all members who have elected to receive
7. Maintain MEMRR E-mail server.
Amended by the general membership 02/20/2001.
Updated 3/21/06 to include approved Amendments of 02/20/2001 and voted changes to
bylaws in 2004 by the general membership.
Amended by the general membership 05/16/2006.
Amended to its present form by the general membership 03/18/2008.